6.04.2005

Life Is Too Short
My last few commissioned works have all been gaming modules. A few months ago I promised myself that I was going to take some time off from d20 work and devote myself to writing straight fiction – no source books, no module work. Straight fiction for fiction’s sake.

Last night I received an email calling for a 100+thousand word d20 product --- essentially a book length gaming project.

So much for abstinence.

Contracts aren’t signed yet, so nothing is set in stone. But the chance to work on something of this magnitude is a powerful lure. It will mean putting down the fiction pen for another 7 months or so … but when I find myself worrying about it, I just think back to another example of game designers-turn-authors: Hickman and Weiss.

The truth is, I’m lucky just to have the opportunity to write d20 adventures. This was never anything I thought that I would get the chance to do, and I certainly never thought I might get paid for it. (And all it took was one rogue submission. If any gamers are reading this, I heartily encourage you to query your favorite publisher --- it’s easy, fun, and there are few things better than getting paid to write games.)

In a moment that gets quoted far more than it deserves, I once said to a friend, “Life is too short to not be a hypocrite.”

This wasn’t meant to inspire a moral free-for-all. What I meant was that clinging to a principle simply for the sake of it being a principle is silly. If the situation changes, and your judgment doesn’t hold true, maybe it is time to change your judgment.

A week ago I was determined to limit myself to writing fiction. Now it looks like I’ll be writing gaming material for a bit longer.

Lousy hypocrite. :)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just out of curiousity Harley, are you writing the entire book yourself?

I've had the pleasure to be involved with a D20 company myself, purely on a goodwill basis at the moment, but writing a full length sourcebook is a monumental undertaking, even for the hardcore enthusiast.

I appreciate you may not be able to share the details until your contract is signed (and maybe not after as well), but hopefully you have learned some time management even as you learned how to write.

Best of luck, I hope it is a success for you.

~ J.L. Collins ~

Anonymous said...

Sounds great big guy.

Justin

Kameron said...

I totally agree that you shouldn't pass this opportunity. It's still writing. Congrats.

Marsheila (Marcy) Rockwell said...

Congrats, Grimmy! And writing is writing...you still have to come up with a plot, exciting adventure, cool locales, cooler monsters, etc....just because it's not a fiction credit doesn't mean it isn't a piece of ciction. ;)