7.08.2005

Shrink Wrap
My earliest memories of being able to buy my own gaming material was in fourth grade, back when Toys-R-Us still carried the TSR lines. I would save up for weeks to buy modules, and then savor opening the shrink wapped plastic. The sound and smell of crinkly plastic came to signify everything I loved about fantasy worlds --- that brief moment after opening, when the contents of the package (unread) were still perfect in my mind.

Today is my birthday. I picked up mail from the small mountain town post office and found a package from Goodman Games. A check and author copies of Legacy.

And damn if it wasn't shrink wrapped.

Deadline: July 8
Every birthday I make plans to send all my friends presents thanking them for all that they've given me over the years. Every year it gets a little too busy and I miss my deadline/run out of materials/can't find enough clay skulls.

I've managed to miss it again, so please forgive a public thank you. You people are the best.

Maybe next year ...

8 comments:

saurus said...

I don't care who you are - that's just cool :)

Anonymous said...

Love you H. :) :)

Marsheila (Marcy) Rockwell said...

Happy Birthday, Grimmy!!!! May every birthday of yours from here on out be filled with royalty checks and contributor copies! ;)

Harley said...

12:49, birthday morning, at the all night coffee shop, working on some writing.

A kid at the table across from me is rolling up a D&D character. I'm inches away from giving him a copy of the module, but it smacks too much of self-satisfaction.

Save the copy for Saurus instead. :)

Anonymous said...

Happy b day bud.

I used to love the smell of the old TSR hardcovers when they were brand new. Or that the chemicals were nice...

J

Anonymous said...

We do have a present for you, and sorry we didn't quite catch up this Friday or anything. Various skating/movie plans seemed up in the air- although I have to admit that I wouldn't have been able to make any of them anyway.

So, happy birthday! And we'll hook you up with a gift and glass of wine next time you're in town.

-R

Anonymous said...

Ian!

Glad to see you are still around. Tank was starting to get a little worried about you...

//H

ec said...

Giving gifts on your birthday--what a lovely idea!

Belated felicitations, H. :)