10.26.2005


Not to put too fine a point on it ...
Quick post. Sorry for the brevity.

In five days and some odd hours I should be getting an answer from WW, either a rejection or a go ahead asking for an entire book. There are also the trailing streamers of a Wizards closed call (“We’ll keep you informed.”), and another d20 publisher who asked for a novel proposal. Three shots at a first novel, likely resolved in the next three months.

So.

You might say I’m a little excited and anxious. My wife is sick of seeing me raise my fists to the sky in silent protest. I've left my blood on the skate park, trying to work off steam. I check my email 20 times a day, then forget my password in my anxiety.

Enough, Stroh. If I die walking home today, the tally would read in my favor. I have been fortunate enough to do and write more than I deserve. If I don’t publish another word for as long as I live, I would still need to give thanks for all the words I have published.

I am a fortunate, fortunate man.

So what I really have here is an opportunity to behave like an upright human being. It doesn’t do any good if I preach after getting a book. I have to say it, and live up to it, now. So here is my chance. Let’s see if Harley is enough of a human to meet the task at hand, step up to the edge of the battlements and not crumble before the coming darkness.

I want these books --- badly. I should want to be a good person even more.

6 comments:

Harley said...

:)

Oog! Oog! Oog!

Marsheila (Marcy) Rockwell said...

Lucky for you, I can cross my toes. ;)

(Get it? Fingers on both hands are already crossed, so I had to go to my feet to cover all three opportunities...oh, never mind. I've come to terms with the fact that I'm the only one who thinks I'm funny, heh)

Lara said...

OK, so, about the WW thing... Will you be notified before anything's posted to the website? Seems like it was news to you that you'd made it into the next round when [I've forgotten who! Drat!] offered congratulations on your site.

Harley said...

Last time it was several weeks before they emailed the folks that made it to the second round. But, given that only 5 people will make the next cut, the turn around might not take so long.

Really, I know as much (and as little) as you guys do. :)

Anonymous said...

That's great news, even if nothing's guaranteed. Here's hoping. :)

Anonymous said...

[unsolicited comments]

Just because you've had a taste, doesn't mean you can't want another.

Don't mistake humility for lack of desire. It's okay to want it. In fact, it's recommended.

Finally, this is just my opinion, but you haven't written more or less than you deserved, but rather, you've written exactly as much as you earned, through skill, determination, and a little luck.

Be proud whether you earn a contract or not, but never sacrifice the drive to do it all over again because you feel guilty for wanting it so bad.

Dragons hoard everything they can get... Young Dragons even more so.

[/unsolicited comments]

~ j.l.collins ~