11.28.2005

Yipes. Things just got real busy.

I'm scared and excited, all at once. This deserves more airtime but through all the shock I'm left with just one thought:

I am so damn blessed (!) to have you guys (and gals) as friends.

Hey! A Question!
"So, Harley, I gotta ask, do you ever question whether some of these module ideas would have made a good short story? I think that's one reason why I've held off on jumping into the d20 game design market--every idea I have I would rather explore as a story."

Nah. Remember, I'm only writing dungeon crawls. The reason the modules are so much fun (and easy) is because I can just write really fun scenes (dramatic environs, crazy bad guys, really weird magic) and let the players do the rest. It's candy store writing: show up, drop exciting ideas, get paid, and get out. :)

Anything important that I might have to explore wouldn't really fit into 20,000 words (less stat blocks). All right. Gotta run. See you guys tomorrow!

9 comments:

Jeff LaSala said...

We all told you so.

Now that that's said, you so freakin' deserve this, Harley. I think it's a mean thing to say four people will write full novels and NOT have them published, so I truly hope they mean "though all of the other completed novels will be considered for publication as well."

But here's to that 1st prize going to you, Citizen H!

Marsheila (Marcy) Rockwell said...

"Now that that's said, you so freakin' deserve this, Harley."

Amen to that!

Go get 'em, Grimmy!

Anonymous said...

You did it! I'm so happy for you, Harley. :)

Jaleigh

Anonymous said...

PPPPPPPPPPPPPPPIIIIIIIIIIIIMMMMMMMMMMMMPPPPPPPP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Dude, you are the wind beneath my wings. I love you.
technobi.

p.s.
Pimp.

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on making the final round Harley.

I entered myself, didn't even make the first cut, (obviously), so I was encouraged to see you rise to the top of the pile.

Given our experiences with the Maiden of Pain open call, I think you should feel confidant knowing that even if you do not win the contest, your writing is likely strong enough for their genre to warrant its own considerations... just as we found out with the Realms of the Dragons 2 invitations.

Also, and this is entirely my own opinion, if Wizards of the Coast is still dangling you a carrot of possible further publication, perhaps this will encourage them to make a favourable decision. There is plenty of cross-over between readers of D&D fiction, and World of Darkness fiction, so both companies could name drop as part of any advertising for your work.

I'll assume you already have plenty of familiarity with the World of Darkness as you finish your manuscript, but please accept my open offer of a fresh perspective for idea-crunching if you don't have any World of Darkness role-players amongst your playtesters.

E-Mail me anytime. If you need my e-mail, please reply.

Sincerely,

J.L. Collins

Anonymous said...

Congrats dude.

j

Harley said...

*stupid fanboy grin* Paul S. Kemp and Technobi2000 on the same message board.

The internet is a wonderful tool.

//H

Kameron said...

Woot! *blushes* A famous author answered my question on his blog. ;)

Harley said...

Phhhbbbbt. :)