12.05.2005

Post ‘Em If You’ve Got ‘Em
What a fantastic time to be alive. Good friends, good work, and writing as far as the eye can see. Thanks for being around for the show.

H and I went to see “Walk the Line” –the Johnny Cash biography– last night. For those of us who like to consider ourselves artists, it hits pretty close to home. Namely, I almost didn’t go to the movie with my wife because I had so much writing to do.

Given my melodramatic bent I probably took more from the movie than intended. Regardless, it served as both a warning and inspiration.

Still waiting to hear back from my new friends at White Wolf. This is actually just fine since I’m still trying to clear my writing load for the new year. My plan is to finish 2 modules and the remaining setting work by the end of December, freeing me up for the final leg of the White Wolf contest. It’s important to complete my contract obligations before I begin chasing contest dreams. It’s never too early to begin behaving like a professional --- even if I still dress like a coffee shop refugee.

Still, I find myself daydreaming about the World of Darkness, which is my way of doing foundation work to the actual writing. Armed with a bomb-proof outline, I’ll begin hammering away in the last weeks of December. If you have any outline suggestions or advice, feel free to post them.

BTW, anyone know if Indianapolis has a skatepark? A little physical exertion would be just the thing to take the edge off GenCon.

In other Con news, the fine folks who published stories in Realms of the Dragons II will be hosting a group signing sometime during the Con. This is a great chance to get meet 10+ authors in one fell swoop, and since many of them are currently writing other novels set in the Realms, it isn’t an exaggeration to say that they are the next generation of Realms Novelists. They have been generous enough to invite me along for the ride, but I’d feel like a bit of a pretender. Thankfully, the opportunity to hang out with these fantastic writers far outweighs any lingering self-esteem issues. I hope many of you can make it.

And finally, a rousing, Deathy shout-out to Ash and Marce. Fingers and toes crossed, kids.

11 comments:

Harley said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Harley said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Harley said...

Heh. Guess where Harley will be in the mornings:

http://www.skateboardparks.com/indiana/indoorskatepark/index.html

Pack your pads, kids. The Choose Death family is headed on a no-pro skate show!

Harley said...

And ...

http://www.skateboardparks.com/indiana/indyskatepark/index.html

Phil Athans: "Why is Harley on crutches?"
Ed Gentry: "Long story."

Marsheila (Marcy) Rockwell said...

I wish it was the Anaheim GenCon, because I might actually be able to attend that one (and collect some more signatures for my copy of RotD II). Ah, well, maybe next year.

And thanks for the shout-out. It's out the door now; time to move on to other things. :)

Harley said...

I have to confess, Mike, things are looking awfully busy.

Anonymous said...

I'm looking forward to meeting you, at long last -- and the others as well. So far, the only one I've met-met is Rosemary.

And what are you talking about, "pretender"?

You and your obsessive humility.

esdb
Who refrains from adding "reminds me of me" on the grounds that it would be arrogant

saurus said...

when's gencon? tell me it's the third week of february so i can turn my massivly cool work sponsered amsterdam->london->florida adventure into work sponsered amsterdam->london->florida->indiana adventure.

Harley said...

Aug 10-13. Show up and you'll have a place to stay, and maybe even meet the legendary El Presidente.

That and I'm trying to convince Kale, Matt, Rob and Obi to attend. :)

Anonymous said...

I stummbled upon this at the odd hour of now.
And I only now realized that my name is the inverse of yours; hope this means something.

Harley said...

Anon.,

Funny, that. Is this SH? Because yeah, I'm HS. I noticed that too. But yours is changing soon, neh?

//H