7.10.2006

Insert “Award Category Text Area” Here



MNTS was right. Grimbones, a.k.a. Harley Stroh, is on a training mission in the wilds of New York perfecting his ninjitsu skills and learning how to write budgets that balance (the other kind are really easy). I’m getting caught up on 2 weeks of back email and trying to beat a July deadline, so forgive me if I don’t post as often as I should.

And as MNTS noted, I really should be celebrating the announcement of DCC World. But to do that justice will take more time than I have tonight, so I have to settle for just one topic:

I made the cut for the GenCon ENnie awards.

A little weird, a little fun, and a little boggling. I don’t know quite what to make of it yet. Maybe it will be the universe's consolation prize for not getting the Vampire novel.

Anyhow. ENnies:

Every year a panel of judges pick their favorite RPG products from the submissions sent in by every game publisher on the planet. This year the panel included Richard J. Miller, Chris Gath, Joe G. Kushner, Jeff Ranger and David Temporado. Good people all around.

Iron Crypt of the Heretics, a Dungeon Crawl Classic, made it into the category of “Best d20 Adventure." The winners are determined by votes cast by the internet savvy public. I don’t have a rat’s chance of winning, but even making the cut is an honor.

Even more fun than the thought of winning/losing is the awards ceremony. Hosted from 8 to midnight, Friday night of the GenCon weekend, it’s the chance for gamers to dress up in semi-formal wear and shake their groove thangs. Any venue that needs to advertise “cash bar” has got to be trouble.

And you’re all invited as my entourage.

That way, even when I lose I’ll know I’ve got the best dancers in the house. Between BWS, the 5 Wits, Jaleigh and Technobi, that category is on lockdown. We’re a freakin' marauding crew of dance pirates.

I love my life.

Anyhow. I’ve got a deadline to meet, so I have to cut this post short. Voting begins on July 17. I’ll let you know when the ballots are up.

14 comments:

Mike said...

Just saw the announcement on the rpg.net forums ... congratulations! It's well deserved.


-Mike

Jeff LaSala said...

Congrats, indeed, Harley!

You know you get extra points for featuring Skeletor in your post.

ec said...

Mazel tov! That's great news.

Moral dilemna: is it ethical to vote for a product you haven't actually played? Would it count if I bought a copy of the module, asked Andrew to play it with his gaming group, and pass along his opinion as a favorable vote?

(As you might have surmised, I'm suffering from REPAS: Real-World Personal Alignment Switch. I used to be Lawful Good, slipped into Chaotic Neutral over the years, and am endeavoring to upgrade my character to Chaotic Good. It's harder than it looks, even considering that I'm still using my 2nd ed stats....)

Lara said...

This adventure kicks ass.

Congrats, Harley.

Kameron said...

I totatlly think this is deserved and will tossing my vote in the hat for Iron Crypt.

Marsheila (Marcy) Rockwell said...

Congrats, Grimmy!!!!!

Another reason to wish I could make it to GenCon -- hubby and I are mean swing dancers, heh. ;)

ec said...

Okay, Lara says the adventure kicks ass. That's good enough for me. :)

Anonymous said...

*confused*

Did I miss something?

You didn't get the Vampire novel? Did you mention this before? Or are you making an assumption that you didn't get it?

Regardless, congrats on the ENnie awards!

Anonymous said...

Congrats on the nomination! You've got my vote. :)

"Between BWS, the 5 Wits, Jaleigh and Technobi, that category is on lockdown"

I KNEW I'd need that Klingon costume for something. ;)

Jaleigh

Bret said...

Great job, Harley! I know my players and I had a fun time during our Iron Crypt outing.

Harley said...

C-

Nope, no answer on the Vampire novel yet. I have the habit of “hedging” my expectations by being pessimistic. All the good stuff is always a surprise.*

But you knew that already. ;)

//H

*And honestly, with my writing, it's so hard for me to see what's good and what's bad. Editors have *loved* work that I thought was crap, and Harley's Brilliant Work (R) never seems as brilliant to everyone else. :)

So being an optimistic pessimist about my odds seems like just good business practice.

Harley said...

Thanks for all the kind words, everybody. Checking in here is my one outlet for hooking up with "my people," so thank you all for taking the time to stop in. It means a lot to this mountain boy.

Find me at GenCon and hit me up for a lemonade/coffee/beer.

Just not all at once, please. ;)

//H

Harley said...

ec said...
Okay, Lara says the adventure kicks ass. That's good enough for me. :)


Moral quandries aside, you'll always be CN in my book. :)

//H

ec said...

//H said: Find me at GenCon and hit me up for a lemonade/coffee/beer.

Just not all at once, please.


At the very least, not all in the same glass.... ;)

ec,
VP, Society for the Segregation of Fruit- and Coffee-based Beverages