11.01.2007

Halloween is Every Day

This is where we'll be Friday night, and this is the man who has opened his space for Rob's artwork. Come down to the Fort and you can skate with us Saturday morning.

Katalist Konsepts isn't Zack’s first stab at being a business owner. His first try, the Paris coffee house, went out of business years ago. But not to be defeated, Zack is back and he’s brought an ink gun with him.

That a tattooed gutter punk with a dyed dreads and self-administered peircings is also a responsible father, Christian and business owner ---- well, let’s just say that the presumed contradictions warm the cockles of my hardened heart.

I’ve been acquainted with Zack for years now. He was the homeless guy sleeping in the back of I-Hop. We wrote about the night when Paris went out of business (you can read about it here, in issue #6 of TIN. (By the by, issue #5 was probably one of our best.)

The important lesson for me here, is perseverance. It would have been easy for a disaffected man to swear off any attempt at success. But he didn’t. He lost, kept punching and here he is again, chasing his dream.

Love it. See you there.

//H

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Interesting ... newsletters (for lack of a better word). Didn't have time to read through them much so I hope I can get back to them. My favorite item was the "Modern Uses for a Trebuchet." Also the cartoon with the dead fish.

You use the terms "we" and "our" when referring to that 'zine. What part did you have in it?

Harley said...

Cass,

Thanks for taking the time to read TIN. It means a lot to me that you --- someone who has MUCH better things to read with her limited time --- would make take the time to read a zine produced on a Kinkos copier.

(Also, I just remembered we have a MAX compendium. I'll post it here in a couple days.)

Re: "We" and "our." TIN (also "This is Not") was the kharmic heir to Anthos Ex Machina, a zine masterminded by Alex Anderegg of DCC Castle Churo fame. When AEM got too stale for Alex, Matt (who you might have met at Gen Con) took up the banner. TIN took a lot more time and effort than AEM, and had high standards for production values at the time.

TIN was edited, laid out, published, and hog tied by Matt/Spackle. Contributing writers abounded. I had the privilege of being a contributing muse and author. And as everyone knows, I cannot edit worth a damn, so if you find an error in TIN, it's probably my fault. We all wrote, drew and riled under a couple of psuedonyms, but mine was usually "Johnny."

Thanks again for reading, Cass. :)

//H

Anonymous said...

Hold on a second. Zack went Christian on us? Or was he always. Jesus, I was so lit in college. :)

Anways, pass on my best wishes...

spackle said...

Wow, second thanks Cass. I think that's almost as much reading as we had during the 2 year run. ;)

I have to say H, I just went back and skimmed through the issue myself and I'm still pretty proud of it. And still a little bummed I couldn't get my crap together to ever start another title. Oh well.

Ever more astonished to realize that issue came out almost 5 years ago!

Thanks again H for helping make it all happen (He plays down his roll) and definitely the same to Alex if he reads this. Would never have happened without you both.

(And there I go again.. long winded and overly sentimental.. that was the true downfall of the magazine. ;) )

Harley said...

Cath,

You weren't lit, you were breaking into the computer lab for us so we could feed our addiction.

7680

//H

Harley said...

... and Zack sends his love. You guys could be brothers, Cath. Seriously.

And wasn't he from the Springs originally?

//H

J. E. Mauzy said...

Hmm, as an ex-Paris.on.the.Poudre waitress, it was interesting to read that article on its demise.
I need to get back there for a visit sometime soon.