2.16.2008

The Shy Guy at GC
Just a brief side note as I prep for my day. Waiting in the registration crowd and asking for a "guest of honor" pass made it into Harley's Winner Circle of top 10 most uncomfortable moments.

I don't know why I'm wired this way. The folks behind the desk were awesome, just like like everyone else I've run into so far. So why the hell can't I look someone in the eye? They told me to come here, so why should I be embarrassed to show up?

It's not even self-esteem. I have self-esteem for days. It's more like conditioning or retained reflexes. Harley's long since moved on, but the old reflexes are still there.

The part that breaks my heart is that I see it in so many other folks here. The overweight guy, talking to himself as he walks to buffet? That's me. The skinny, bug eyed kid who's looking around like someone is about to punch him? That's me.

We don't need to be this way. We're amongst friends here, and while people in groups are largely asses, individuals are largely kind. So what's the damage already?

Sheesh. Get it together, kid. If not for yourself, then so you can be an example to others.

//H

7 comments:

saurus said...

Or just take my attitude - screw 'em - who cares what they think.

Not that that directly relates here, but you get the point. Now if only that could work with the ladies . . .

In other news, the lot of you - stay away from that horrible piece of cinema that is 'Diary of the Dead'. Sigh. Six months of anticipation wasted. But if someone wants to write 'Dairy of the Dead' about a bunch of zombie farmers, the idea is all yours.

pgcath said...

I end up looking almost everyone in the eye that I pass in the halls every day. Most people I interact with as well. I try to give a "good morning" and a "take care" to everyone that will make eye contact.

It's suprising how many people don't answer. Or make eye contact. I still "good morning" a lot though. Sometimes, just sometimes, I get the most amazing smiles.

It's also amazing how many people don't thank wait staff on each micro-transaction. (bringing a napkin, drink, etc.)

Fuck impolite.

pgcath said...

The impolite bit was not directed at you guys. I know you thank wait staff... Sorry. That came out poorly...

GAH. Damn you Red Hook ESB!

Harley said...

Cath, Understood.

Saurus, Amen.

Clarification: Made an edit to blog post. :)

//H

Anonymous said...

I know what you mean about old reflexes. Although I'm totally old enough to know better, sometimes I find myself acting like back in school, where I could sit beside people for weeks and never say a word to them. Other times I seem to think that someone is doing me a favor by allowing me to pay a large amount of money to participate in something, and so I'd better just be happy with whatever I can get and not complain. I have to really watch myself.

Fortunately, in this business we have an alternative. You don't have to be outgoing to get along, you only have to roleplay it well - and we can all roleplay! :)

Anonymous said...

It's mostly that you sense the fear of others... cause o' your ninja skilz. I seen it.
teknobi

Harley said...

Thanks, Tek.

Speaking of skilz, do we have a go date for D-Day?

//H