3.20.2008

You know you've arrived when ...

With the exception of the Goodman boards, I try to make a point of avoiding forums. Getting into a digital dustup can only damage a writer's reputation, especially when it takes away from time that should be spent writing. Sure it would be fun to be one of those sophisticated bloggers, with a wry comment and a martini always at the ready, but sadly that's just not me. I'm not here to be a forum gawd or deific blogger. These are simply tools to be used en route to becoming a better writer.  

But sometimes I can't help myself. I don an alias and go for a couple rounds. It's a stupid, guilty pleasure, especially since I'm not really invested in the outcome. 

Anyhow, I recently got into an debate with another poster, that ended with him (or her) trashing me along these lines:

"Obviously, if  you had ever published ANYTHING in the rpg business, then you would know that XXXX is true."

In the middle of typing my snarky rejoinder, I looked back over the original post and was struck speechless. The poster's sig was a quote attributed to some guy named Harley Stroh.

Satisfaction. Silence. A timely reminder.

I went back to my writing. 

//H

7 comments:

Jeff LaSala said...

That's a thing of beauty right there. And I'd love to hear the details. Not that you'd want to do so publicly. :)

Mike said...

Ditto what Jeff said. Let me know the details someday.

Anonymous said...

Ha, beautiful.

spackle said...

Totally off topic, but do you think you'd get sued if you did a spoof campaign called White Castlerock? Not sure if there are enough CO gamers to get any double references castlerock, but I'd still chuckle.

(I'm probably also the 40th person to have asked you this I'd guess... ;) )

Anonymous said...

Hi Harely,

Just checking in between the sun and the new powder. :)

I hope we can hook up Sat/Sun. Nat is back in ski school (w/Karl?) on Sun, so taco will be back for more Dallas Fwy, etc.

BTW, I'd get the castlerock x-ref: I've been there years ago.

taco

Anonymous said...

Hey.. that was me!

Juuust Kiiiding.

I was half expecting the guy to say something like "Who do you think you are, Harley Stroh?"

Awesome.

Anonymous said...

Harley Stroh is a gaming god!!!
tecknobi